Here’s much to be said about Gua Sha. You may have seen the Skin Gym rose quartz or jade stones all over your Instagram feed – in heart, square, or diamond designs as beautiful as the faces of the celebrities who use them. But do you know exactly where they originated? Or that they’re the secret to smooth, sculpted skin minus the injectables? Once you try your first Gua Sha, you’ll never go back. These skincare tools are the perfect addition to your self-care routine to give you chiseled, radiant skin, and a major boost of confidence.
Here’s EVERYTHING you need to know about Gua Sha!
What is Gua Sha?
Also known as skin scraping, the gua sha technique originated hundreds of years ago as a form of Chinese medicine. Practitioners would use a flat stone to apply pressure and scrape the skin, treating muscle pain and tightness. While it was a very intense massage that often resulted in bruising and redness (the “sha” in the name refers to skin redness), it was highly regarded as an effective treatment… and is still used today in the form of self-care.
Don’t worry, today’s “facial” version of the gua sha treatment is much less intense. These tools are small and typically made out of a stone like rose quartz or amethyst, used to scrape the skin in an upward, outward direction to release tension. While you can definitely ask your esthetician to do it for you, these tools are sold everywhere (including Skin Gym!) and can easily be used daily at home to achieve a glowing complexion and sculpted appearance – no needles or charging station required.
What are the Benefits of Gua Sha?
- Gua Sha is the ultimate self-care treatment for the face. The facial muscles are often stressed from constant changes in expression, such as frowning, raising eyebrows, or clenching jaws… and that’s where Gua Sha comes in. The scraping technique is used to release tension and promote lymphatic drainage.
- Gua Sha is believed to sculpt and enhance your features in a remarkable way. Every scrape leads to lymphatic drainage, removing bloat and breaking down the fluids that build up under the skin to sharpen every contour of your face. We know what you may be thinking… “Wait, what? Gliding this stone over my face can make my cheekbones more chiseled?” And the answer is yes. One of the greatest benefits is a sharper jawline, more chiseled cheekbones – without any needles or contour powder.
- Don’t forget the spiritual benefits! When choosing a Gua Sha tool, it’s important to choose a stone that best suits you and your self-care routine. Metaphysically, Rose quartz is known as the ultimate symbol of love and beauty, and you’ll feel loving and soothing vibrations the moment our Rose Quartz Gua Sha touches your skin. For a feeling of peacefulness and nourishment, choose our Jade Gua Sha Workout Set for a jade gua sha and facial roller that you’ll never want to put down.
How do I use my Gua Sha Skincare Tool?
While the Skin Gym Gua Sha is a fairly simple treatment, there are a few things you should know.
- Prep your skin. Firstly, never begin scraping without a facial oil or serum. Ever. This is what allows the tool to glide gracefully along the contours of your face and neck, getting the best results. You should also know that a bit of light bruising or red marks after treatment are normal, though you should try not to apply too much pressure during treatment to avoid excessive markings.
- Gently massage. After you’ve prepped skin, begin gently massaging your face and neck in upward and outward motions, starting from the neck and moving along your chin, cheeks, and very gently around the eye area. Use the smaller end of the Gua Sha tool to reach the delicate sections of your face, such as the eye area, and do each side of the face separately.
- Repeat massage. Do each motion three times on each part of your face, and use the tool for 5–10 minutes daily to achieve your most flawless, radiant skin. Every self-care ritual is better with Gua Sha.
Which Gua Sha Face Massage Tool Should I Get?
Ready to get started? Here’s our collection of Skin Gym Gua Sha tools that you and your skin will be obsessed with!
Enhance your skincare routine with our modern facial massaging tool!
Bring this ancient, facial massaging beauty ritual into your daily skincare routine for added contour and glow! Available in both Jade and Rose Quartz.
Specifically designed to enhance your natural beauty, this tool massages your skin for a refreshed and relaxed appearance.